WikiFoundry Central

--------
WikiFoundry News - March 3, 2021

Wikifoundry Shutdown announced for June 1st, 2021.
Hello all.

The WikiFoundry software as we know it will be decommissioned on June 1st. I don't think this comes as as a surprise to many, especially after Flash was decommissioned recently.

A number of bigger wikis will be moved to either WordPress or Mediawiki. The NCIS wiki recently was moved to Wordpress:
https://www.ncisfanwiki.com/

If you're interested in having your site transitioned to Mediawiki or WordPress, I'll review it on a case-by-case basis. Email info@wikifoundry.com with the subject "Migration request" with your wiki's URL.

Thank you for all of your support over the years, I've tried my best to keep the platform up and running since acquiring it in 2013 but obviously did not meet the expectations of many.

Why don't I just fix it? Well, WikiFoundry is a behemoth of a platform. For 8 years I've been patching it to keep it running and the ad revenue just no longer supports the effort required to keep it going. The software is Java/Tomcat-based and has many version-specific dependencies on programs like Apache Tomcat that are no longer supported. The Java API component is 110,386 lines of code split across 1,551 files. The Java Web component is 18,771 lines across 231 files.... you see where I'm going with this. It's a losing effort, and it's time to move on.

All of your data will be available until June 1st, so there are 3 months to transition your content. If you have any questions or concerns, the best thing to do is email me - travis@wikifoundry.com.

Thank you for your support over the years.
-- Travis Derouin
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys. I just wanted to take the time to say 'thank you' as well. I've been around about as long as the few of you still using the platform have been. We've seen some good years and bad years of the platform over the course of it's launch back in 2005. I won't go into a long dribble when I already did so on the 'All good things must come to an end' thread linked here.
I just want to say thank you all for your support and thank you for being a part of a once wonderful community. It means the world to have grown up with all of you and experience what we did. Good luck on your future endeavors, everyone!

Thanks again!
-- Naru2008

Hi all. Many thanks for your support to Wikifoundry over the years. Thanks to Naru2008 for his guidance in matters over our time here. I thoroughly enjoyed working on such a wonderful, easy platform. Its closure is a big blow to many of us. The experience here and to have met so many great people has been wonderful. Thanks to all. bellswebster.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For previous announcements, visit the WikiFoundry News page.
------- --------
WikiFoundry Central Staff
As part of the community staff, we are here to help you, and there is usually always someone online to assist you.
If you'd like, you can visit the Hall of Fame for former staff members of the wiki who helped make it what it is today!
----------------
Featured Tip - Back-up Your Wikis
Tip provided by: Naru2008
With the announcement of the closure of Wikifoundry, some of you may want to preserve your website, whether for personal use, or to attempt to rebuild elsewhere should you not be able to migrate with help from Travis to MediaWiki or WordPress. You can see more information on backing up your wikis by clicking on 'Back-up your Wikis' above, however please note these will only be extracted as plain-HTML pages, no headers, no navigation, no threads, etc. You will have embedded images included, but other Widgets and embeds will not be included, and rebuilding the pages manually will be left up to you. Best of wishes in your future endeavors!
--------
--------

--------
Welcome to WikiFoundry Central!
This is the official help & support wiki for WikiFoundry, where you can find information, tips, and tricks on how to successfully run your wiki and get the latest information from WikiFoundry.
-
New to WikiFoundry? Then read the User Manual!
--------
How to Use WikiFoundry Central
Use the Table of Contents or the "Search this site" feature to find a topic.
-
Can't find the answer you're looking for?
Post your question in the discussion forum.
Please read the rules before posting!
--------
Commonly Reported Issues
Having an issue, but not sure if others are too? Please look here before you report any issues you may have:
WikiFoundry supports all web browsers. except Safari!
--------
Questions? Start Here!
--------
Feedback
Is there anything you feel is wrong or missing with WikiFoundry?
-
If so, there are several places you can visit to give us Feedback
:
--------
Asking Questions
Before starting a new thread, please search WikiFoundry Central for pages and threads relating to your question or problem. If you can't find an answer, you may post your question once in the appropriate discussion forum category.
-
--------
--------